Friday, January 14, 2011

The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life

I've been meaning to do a mini book review of Melisser Elliott's The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life. Because it's amazing. And if you're newly vegan, thinking about going vegan or a vegan warrior who just wants to confirm your beliefs and learn about other women all over the globe who share your ideals, this book has something for you.
As someone who's played around with a veg lifestyle for most of my adult life, I know the basics of going veg. But Melisser really breaks it down for you. She not only covers the food stuff (including pantry must-haves, foods to avoid, nutrition, and recipes), but all the other lifestyle issues a vegan needs to know: activism, clothes, shoes, beauty products, and even cleaning supplies. She lists the ingredients you need to look out for, as well as the companies that are 100% cruelty free. She even goes the extra step of telling you what products she loves the most. This girl is thorough. It's everything a lady needs to know to successfully navigate a vegan lifestyle.

My favorite part of the book are the interviews she does with vegan ladies, and vegan business owners from all over the world. It's wonderful to read about other gals who follow the vegan lifestyle, how they got there, and what they love about it. And the layout and design of the whole book is just adorable. And did I mention there's a section in the back with vegan and eco-friendly crafts? Seriously, I'm in love with this book. Well done, Melisser.
Following my goal of trying new recipes every week, I've been working my way through the recipes in the back of the Guide. Some are Melissers, and some were submitted by her many talented friends. So far, all are delicious. Last week I tried the Two Bean Confetti Hash. It was pretty yummy.
But the best I've tried so far? The Moroccan Chickpea and Kale Tagine with Quinoa. This dish is probably the most delicious thing I've ever made. I know that's not saying much considering my dinner track record, but seriously. I had to pat myself on the back for this one. It's so flavor and full of spice without heat, and with chickpeas, kale and quinoa, it's a nutritional powerhouse. Best of all, it's comes together really quickly. You prep the veggies, add ingredients, and let it stew and do its thing. My kind of dish!
I'll definitely be adding this dish to my repertoire, and probably bring it to my next potluck. And you should definitely add The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life to your "to buy" list. It's totally worth it. And if you've already got your copy, you should head over to the VegNews Book Club. The Guide is the book they're discussing this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment