Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Urban Housewife at Grindcore House

Melisser Elliott, otherwise known as The Urban Housewife, is releasing a book: The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life. And she'll be in Philly next week for a book signing at the most excellent Grindcore House coffee shop. Wednesday, November 10th, from 6-8 PM. It's going to be awesome. Philly vegans, especially all you lovely vegan ladies, I'm expecting you to represent. I know I'll be there, dorking out, and I'm totally bringing some snacks for the author. Carbomb Cupcakes, perhaps? (Now completely vegan, of course.)
And while we're on the subject, let's talk about that awesome coffee shop. Oh Grindcore House, how I love thee. Let me count the ways...

1. Finally! A coffee shop in my neighborhood! Something I can easily walk to from my apartment that I actually want to walk to? Didn't think I'd see the day down here!

2. This isn't just any coffee shop. It's 100% vegan. A vegan coffee shop. In deep South Philly. I totally did a triple take when I first saw the sign.
3. They've got a big pastry case full of cruelty-free tasty treats. Some from Vegan Treats, some from North Port Fishington Cookie Factory, and the rest from lots of other local bakers (wink, wink).
4. Sandwiches are on the menu too. And bagels with a big selection of flavored cream cheese options. They carry Better Butter as well for your snacking pleasure. They've got their bases covered.

5. Their iced tea is BANGIN'.

6. Seasonal favorite: Hot Apple Cider

7. Five different alternative milk options (coconut creamer, soy milk and creamer, rice milk and almond milk), and agave syrup on the bar.
8. The shop is a much-needed beacon of light in what can be an otherwise dismal neighborhood.
9. Baristas that are sweet, not snobby pants.
10. The owners, Mike and David, are probably the nicest people on the planet. Fact.

And of course, they do some great events. Besides the Urban Housewife, here's some other events coming soon:

I hope I see lots of your smiling faces next Wednesday, for Melisser's book signing. Tell your friends. Grab a copy or two of the book, meet the author, and snack on vegan goodies. What else are you doing on a Wednesday night?


4 comments:

  1. I will see you there! I don't think I've tried any of your desserts before, which should be my first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much there, but the oatmeal creme pies are pretty popular, especially if you were a fan of little debbie back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome about the book signing and also what a fabulous coffee shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for the book to be released in the U.K.

    So want to drink some hot apple cider right now.

    ReplyDelete